Failover is a great way to ensure 100% uptime of your domains. But you can also combine Failover with Round Robin (or load balancing) for added redundancy. Once activated, your traffic will be balanced across multiple backup IP addresses.
For this tutorial, we will be demonstrating how to configure Round Robin with Failover using A records. You can apply these same steps and principles when using this configuration for other record types.
1. In the sidebar menu, select Managed DNS and then click on Domains in the drop down menu.
2. Select the domain you want to add Round Robin with Failover to.
3. Under the A Records section, click the icon to add a new record. If you already have a record created that you would like to add DNS Failover to, then click the check box next to the record, and then the icon.
4. In this screen, you will enter the information to configure Round Robin with Failover.
A) Name: Enter an identifiable name for your record.
B) TTL: Enter the Time to Live, measured in seconds.
C) Record Mode: Click on the button next to Failover with Round Robin to enable this Mode for your record.
5. Here you will add the IP addresses and record information for your Round Robin with Failover configuration:
A) Round Robin with Failover: First, make sure that the button next to Round Robin with Failover has been clicked. Then continue.
B) IP: Enter the primary IP address for your record.
C) Sonar Check: If you have a Sonar Check enabled for this IP address, you can select it here.
D) Enabled: The slider will automatically select On, however if you want to disable this IP then click the slider to change it to No. The check mark will disappear under the Active column.
E) Status: If the IP is active or down, then it will say so here.
F) IP: Add a second IP address to your configuration. This will be the IP that your primary will Failover to in the event it is downed.
G) Add Another IP: Since you are doing a Round Robin configuration, you will want to add additional IP’s to your configuration. Just click the button, and follow the same directions for the text boxes as you did in A-F.
H) Notes: Add a helpful note if you wish.
I) Save: Click the Save and Close button to save your record. Don’t forget to commit your changes.