Guarantee 100% availability of your site with DNS Failover. As soon as your primary IP is offline, Failover will automatically redirect traffic over to your backup IP address at another location. DNS Failover is fully integrated with your preconfigured Sonar checks. If our monitoring nodes detect an outage, Sonar will first make sure your backup IP is live, then Constellix DNS will automatically failover your query traffic.
1. In the sidebar menu, select Managed DNS and then click on Domains in the drop down menu.
2. Select the domain you want to add Failover to.
3. Under the CNAME Records section, click the icon to add a new record. If you already have a record created that you would like to add DNS Failover to, then click the check box next to the record, and then the icon.
4. In this screen, you will enter the information to configure Failover.
A) Name: Enter an identifiable name for your record.
B) TTL: Enter the Time to Live, measured in seconds.
C) Record Type: Click on the button next to Failover to enable Failover for your record. Choose between the three types of failover depending on your preference.
5. Here you will add the hostnames and record information for your Failover configuration:
A) Failover (IP) Slider: First, make sure that Failover is enabled. This should automatically switch to On if you selected Failover as the record type in Step 3.
B) Host: Enter the primary hostname for your record.
C) Sonar Check: If you have a Sonar Check enabled for this hostname, you can select it here.
D) Enabled: The slider will automatically select On, however if you want to disable this IP then click the slider to change it to No. The check mark will disappear under the Active column.
E) Status: If the host is active or down, then it will say so here.
F) Host: Add a second hostname address to your configuration. This will be the hostname that your primary will Failover to in the event it is downed.
G) Add Another Host: If you want to add additional hostnames to your configuration just click the Add Another Host button.
H) Notes: Add a helpful note if you wish.
I) Save: Click the Save and Close button to save your record. Don’t forget to commit your changes.